Comprehensive Elder Law Services

Give Your Loved Ones The Protection They Deserve

Last updated on October 8, 2020

Sometimes, the people we love become incapacitated and can no longer manage their affairs or protect their own best interests. This is often emotionally painful to observe, especially when you are concerned for their safety. In this instance, you may need to seek a guardianship.

At Katten Benson Zachry Golightly, LLP, we have worked with numerous clients to obtain guardianship over the people they love. Whether your loved one has declining mental capacity due to old age or an accident rendered them disabled, you can use a guardianship to protect their rights and their dignity.

When May I Seek A Guardianship?

The law assumes that adults over the age of 18 years have the ability to manage their own legal, financial and medical affairs. However, there are some extenuating circumstances. An adult may necessitate a guardian if they can no longer make reasonable decisions about their best interests due to:

  • Mental deterioration
  • Mental illness
  • Developmental disability

The line between capacity and incapacity is not always clear. If you are not sure whether you should petition the court for guardianship, contact Katten Benson Zachry Golightly, LLP to discuss your situation with us.

Compassionate Counsel That You Can Trust

We understand firsthand how it feels to be in your shoes. Not only have we helped clients facing similar situations to yours but our attorneys have also had relatives encounter complex elder law issues. When you work with us, we will provide empathy and compassion in addition to wise legal counsel.

Protect Your Loved One With A Guardianship

If you wish to obtain guardianship so that you can make decisions on behalf of the incapacitated person you love, contact us today. We can provide the guidance that you need during this difficult time. To schedule an initial consultation at our office in Fort Worth, call 817-857-4690 or send us an email.